Monday, July 17, 2006

Freaks and Geeks

It's almost that time again to drive in a cramped car for 3 hours, don hand made costumes, and parade around the streets of Baltimore along with 17,000 other freaks and geeks of the anime community for 3 straight days fun and excitement! Yes, that's right! Otakon is almost here!!

This year I'm going with my friends Kaiti-Love and Ms. Chelsea. Things are going to be interesting since Kaiti-Love has never been to an anime convention before and is new to everything. Ms. Chelsea I think has gone to one, so she has some idea of what to expect. Kaiti-Love is soooo excited, she can't stop talking about it! She's going to have a good time.

I remember the first time I went to a convention... [insert dreamy flash-back music here] I worked very hard on my first cosplay costume (Kairi from Kingdom Hearts), and went with a couple friends to Anime Mid-Atlantic in Richmond. That was amazing! Never before had I seen men in their mid-to-late fourties dressed up as japanese school girls in mini skirts, or Sailor Moon that was quite literally a size XXXXXXXL! And I learned that sometimes when people are having way to good of a time they tend to ignore personal hygene. I also got to meet really cool people (my friends "Sora" and "Riku" included), buy really cool things, and get to bash on all the people that are extremely obese and reeking of BO trying to dress like Aisha Clan-Clan and Faye Valentine (Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop characters).

Anime Conventions aren't all filled with fat and smelly people. There are some really awesome cosplayers who actually do pay attention to the way they smell and stay in shape! And their costumes look awesome also. Conventions are a great way to act crazy in a controlled enviroment (no alcohol, sex, or drug use; unless you count pocky, then there's a hell of a lot of that!), make friends, and show off your sewing skills (or lack there of) to the world!

I'm counting down the days now, since my costumes are almost all done! This year's plan is to go as Triela from Gunslinger Girl (a wonderful anime filled with wonderful music, guns, cute little girls, guns, italy, guns, secret government organizations, and did I mention guns?) and Ororon from The Demon Ororon (one of my favorite manga of all times. Combine Romeo and Juliet along with heaven and hell duking it out to see who is supreme and tons of blood everywhere and there you go, Ororon!). Maybe I'll also be able to do another costume if I have the time (and $$). If I do, then I will definitly do Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club. That's the plan! I can't wait!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ash said...

I thought the knowledge of Pocky comsumption was understood. My appologies. So, Yes! Much Pocky for you to gobble up!

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home